The Sims 4 Rock Climbing
Ascend Mt. Komorebi in The Sims 4 Snowy Escape Expansion Pack
Rock Climbing can help you to climb the mountain, but only if you are on expedition with at least 1 other Sim.
Rock Climbing is perhaps the most interesting of the three new skills in The Sims 4 Snowy Escape. Unlike the others, it has a purpose in allowing Sims to group up and attempt to tackle Mount Komorebi's summit. You'll find some very useful side abilities in this skill that are amazing for adventuring. For instance, the protein and energy bars that Rock Climbers can craft.
How to Start Rock Climbing
Your Sim can stretch to prepare for a climb. This gives you a +1 focused moodlet for 4 hours.
Near the Bunny Slopes on Mt. Komorebi's northernmost area, you'll find a small rock wall Sims can climb. This is the starter wall, and you can find an intermediate one on the opposite side of the neighborhood. Basically, the taller it is, the harder it is to climb.
The ideal mood for climbing is focused, of course. Stretching can help your Sim get into this mood, but it can fail and result in an uncomfortable moodlet sometimes.
Danger! This is a New Death in Snowy Escape
This is the entry-level rock climbing wall. It'll hurt, but it's not far enough to kill your clumsy Sim.
While I didn't go into accidents on Snowboarding and Skiing, it's very much worth mentioning here. A fall from a great height can most definitely kill your Sim, though it's not guaranteed to do so. Using gear and not climbing during particularly icy conditions (like climbing in a blizzard) are helpful to avoiding a Sim's demise. Overall if you are iffy, use the investigate route ability on the rock wall to see how difficult it will be for your Sim at that time.
Safe rock climbing can begin with lots of practice or research. You are not only able to buy Climbing Gear on the computer, but can also find a Research Hand Hold Techniques under the Browse menu which will help you gain skill without being out in the cold.
Your Sim needs gear to do really well, though you can of course climb without it. Owning gear will improve your Sim's success rates. You can find gear for around $450 under the order menu on computers. Why is it not in vending machines like the snowboard and skis? Who knows. You click this in your inventory to equip the gear and from there will have all the benefits.
Rock Climbing Skill Levels & Unlocks
- Level 1 - Climb up and down small climbing walls, and equip or remove Rock Climbing Gear
- Level 2 - Climb small walls Courageously. Build skill using the Breaking Point climbing session. Unlocks snow goggles.
- Level 3 - Pre-Climb Stretch ability unlocks, in addition to Attempt Climb on medium height climbing routes. Also it's not mentioned but you can research hand hold techniques on computer at this rank.
- Level 4 - Chalk hands to improve success rates. Unlocks new ways to climb medium height climbing routes.
- Level 5 - Climbing Suit unlocks, can use Breaking Point climbing sessions on medium height climbing routes.
- Level 6 - Allows you to attempt to climb the tallest routes, and "Chat About Beta" of a route with other Sims.
- Level 7 - Craft Energy Bars (click self) and Climb Cautiously on the tallest routes.
- Level 8 - Can now Practice on tall climbing routes.
- Level 9 - Can Climb Courageously on tallest route, and self-craft Protein Bars.
- Level 10 - Allows you to Coach Rock Climbing on other Sims and Offer Tips.
At least one other Sim must accompany yours on an excursion. I suggest both have level 6 Rock Climbing at minimum, or you may not make it very far.
Rock climbing plays a big role in Excursions up Mt. Komorebi. It is the main thing you need to be able to do, other than manage a Sim's mood while in the wilderness that is the mountain. You can learn more about excursions when my page about them is done, so check back in the next 24 hours!
Energy and Protein Bars
It requires you to have some produce, but the ability to make protein and energy bars is really nice!
At levels 7 and 9, Sims learn to craft Energy and Protein bars, respectively. Energy bars require Apple and Cherry, while Protein bars take Blackberry and Strawberry. These are very much needed in order to craft them (1 of each) but they can be made anywhere you are. The energy bar I tried restored a ton of hunger and was quick to eat, so they're highly effective.
Your Sim can stretch to prepare for a climb. This gives you a +1 focused moodlet for 4 hours.
Energy Bars and Protein Bars have a 6 hour cooldown so you won't be saving an entire expedition with these, but they can help in a big way when you only have a couple Sims on the mountain. The cooldown isn't shared, you can make both every 6 hours. Energy bars do recover some energy as you might expect, but Protein bars go a bit further by locking your hunger and energy decay to 85% of normal for 3 hours.
Snowy Escape Guides
- Snowy Escape - Learn major features in the new Expansion Pack
- Cheats - Snowy Escape Cheats
- Climb Mt. Komorebi - Summit the Mountain in Snowy Escape.
- Sentiments in Sims 4 & Snowy Escape - a new Sims 4 Base Game feature free for all players.
- Lifestyles - A New Gameplay Feature in the Expansion.
- Rock Climbing - Used for Excursions up Mt. Komorebi
- Skiing - Learn to do tricks, and teach others.
- Snowboarding - Create first person snowboarding videos.
- Hiking - Learn about the new Meditative Walk and Surge Emotions.
- Platforms - a new feature in the free patch with this pack.
Acting | Archaeology | Baking | Charisma | Comedy | Cooking | Dancing | DJ Mixing | Fabrication Fishing | Fitness | Flower Arranging | Gardening | Gourmet Cooking | Guitar | Handiness | Herbalism | Juice Fizzing | Logic | Media Production | Mischief | Mixology | Painting | Parenting | Photography | Piano | Programming | Robotics Rocket Science | Singing | Vampire Lore | Veterinarian | Video Gaming | Violin | Wellness | Writing
Check Out My Youtube Channel!
We now have a Youtube Channel with over 50 guides in video format to go along with the huge site I've already created. Check it out and consider subscribing if you like my style.
When you start a mountain excursion, where is the trail map marker for part one?
My sims are at the top of the mountain but I can’t find a marker anywhere.
Ride to the top of the ski slope; walk behind it, find the rock wall and climb to the top. At the top, there's a small sign (similar size to a fishing location) and "Consult Trail Map Marker". Your climbing members should also have made it here, another option is to just follow them once you get to the bath house.
Hi. I’ve read there is a rock climbing training house in the traditional neighbourhood. I can’t find it - do you know where it is? Thanks you
I don't know about a house but there is a beginners wall where you can 'practice' as opposed to 'climb'. Just look around carefully near the base of the mountain around where the gondola access area is.
I haven't seen one in a new save, but I did find numerous climbing gyms on the gallery, and downloaded one onto an empty lot.
awesome information i was having trouble looking
That rock climbing cheat doesn't work.
Is there a tall wall climbing spot anywhere? I can’t seem to find it.
I was coming to try and find out the same thing - at level 8, sims stop gaining skill on the medium wall at the top of the ski lift. Apparently we have to go on expeditions just to practice to make it to level 10? Or, maybe books or the climbing wall will still work.
The tallest Rock Climbing Wall is found on the mountain itself :)
It's to the right of the rental below the mountain, it's the practice wall near the sign.
Here's something I found out: You can also build Rock Climbing skill by using the Top Hit Rock Climbing Wall from the Fitness stuff pack, but I haven't found out any pros or cons from this yet, aside from the obvious that it's quite a bit safer than climbing an actual cliff.
Does anyone know if all Sims in the climbing group have to achieve level 9 climbing skill first? I am playing with a single Sim household, so I don't have any way of knowing what their friend's climbing skill level will be ahead of time.
Sims 4 Paranormal Stuff
Sims 4 Snowy Escape
Sentiments & Platforms (Free Patch!)
Best Mods in Sims 4
I've created a massive List of The Best Mods in The Sims 4 that should be very helpful to new players and those who have not yet explored modding and how much it can do for your gameplay.
Secrets and Other New Stuff
Nifty Knitting is now available. Learn all about the stuff pack on my guide page here.NEW - Nifty Knitting Cheats
New features in the Sims 4 June 2020
The Sims 4 Eco Lifestyle Guide
Eco Footprint: How it Works
Neighborhood Action Plans
How to Cheat in Sims 4 Eco Lifestyle
Civil Designer Career
Insect Farms & Bio Fuel
Fabrication Skill in Eco Lifestyle
Juice Fizzing NEW
Traits and Aspirations in DLC
Gameplay Ideas for Sims 4 Eco Lifestyle
Search my Sims 4 Site
Super Sim Checklist + Other News
This is inspired by a new series in which I start at toddler and gradually take on the major bonuses. Here's a link to the full playlist!
I now have a guide page to Tiny Living Stuff where you can learn about Murphy Beds, the new death, as well as the lot bonuses you'll receive if you manage to keep the size of your lot down with this new pack's Tiny Home Lot Type.
Let's Play Playlist
New I now have a guide to Making Super Sims in The Sims 4. Look for a text version within the next 72h. It won't have THAT much more info but it will help out as a checklist.
This was inspired by a series, "Let's Play a Super Sim" in which I start at toddler and gradually take on the major bonuses. Here's a link to each part for people who are interested. You can also see the Let's Play as a Playlist on Youtube.
Latest Videos and Guides
- Sims 4 Ultimate Gameplay Tips Video
- Lot Traits Updated for all DLC
- 10 Objects that Add Gameplay to The Sims 4
- 10+ Mods That Add or Improve Gameplay in The Sims 4
- Spells List Updated & Info on Charge
- Around the World of Glimmerbrook
- Sims 4 Realm of Magic is Available Now. Here’s My Opinion On the Pack
- The Sims 4 Realm of Magic Features Deep-Dive
- Tutorial: Using The Sims 4’s New Stair Customization Tool
Discover University Expansion
The Sims 4 Discover University has been announced for November 15 for PC/Mac and December 17 for Xbox and Playstation 4 consoles. Click to learn more about the pack, see my summary of the livestream or read our FAQs below.
- New Career Law Career
- New Video Discover University Review
- New Video The Sims 4 Discover University Super Student
- New Engineering Career - Mechanical or Computer
- NEW Student Organizations (University Groups)
- Gameplay Features Guide (Robotics, Secret Society) Video
- Updated! Discover University Cheats
- Updated: Degrees Guide now also features a Scholarships List
- Discover University Features Guide
- Education Career - Professor or Administrator?
- Research and Debate Skill - Convince Others & Debate Guild
- Robotics and Cybernetics
- The Secret Society of Britechester
More videos coming soon!