The Sims 4 Veterinarian Skill
Cats and Dogs Expansion Pack Guides
The Vet Clinic in Brindleton Bay
There's a new Veterinarian skill included in the Sims 4 Cats and Dogs, which represents your Sim's ability to treat sick animals and craft items at the medicine crafting table. The new skill is meant to be used in conjunction with the ownable vet clinic feature, but can certainly be used at home to craft a few useful items and treat your own sick pets without visiting the vet every time. It's an expensive time saver, to be sure, but being able to make your pets immortal is likely worth the effort to most Simmers, and the start-up cost can be recovered by crafting treats. In this guide, we'll cover what each level unlocks and the various bonuses you'll receive. For details on starting and running an actual vet clinic click here.
Gaining Skill Levels and the Medicine Crafting Stations
Using the Medicine crafting station can let you gain Vet skill experience in order to prepare for actually treating animals.
To begin learning the skill, you have a few options but all require you to purchase vet equipment as there are no skill books available for veterinary medicine. Look under buy mode, sort by function and the 'pets' miscellaneous category. You can also search medicine to find the two veterinarian medicine crafting stations, one of which is a 'budget' model for about $650. Using these while focused is the best way to level up veterinarian. I don't yet see any major differences, though the higher end medicine crafting station certainly looks better.
When an animal in your household is sick, you can attempt to treat them and gain veterinarian experience, but you will not always be able to produce the correct treatment at low level. The easiest way to level up the skill without having to queue up tons of actions is to use the medicine crafting station to do lab work while Focused, which is the ideal mood for the vet skill. However you can make pretty good money making treats, so that option is not to be ignored.
Crafting special treats, which you can get from the first level and can give to your animals, will also grant you skill XP. You can live off the income from making treats and selling them from your inventory. Scorching cinnamon treats sell for $150, and it doesn't take too long to craft them nor any ingredients - just a small $15 fee. Profit $135 each, so a great way to make money and cover the costs of your vet equipment. It may even compete with what you'd get from running a full veterinary clinic, but isn't as fun.
The medicine crafting station also allows you to store medicine that can be used when you're treating pets. Medicines do not have a sale value, so you'd only want to do this if you're stocking up to help make treating animals more efficient and less stressful. Click open and drag the medicines you've crafted from your Sim's inventory to the crafting station.
As with other skills, you unlock new abilities as you level Veterinarian. You'll also get perk points which can be used to improve your clinic and its employees, or to purchase temporary boosts.
- Level 1 - You start with the ability to perform a number of treatments on pets, which will cover many of the common sicknesses. When you can't treat an 'easy' or 'medium' difficulty disease at the treatment table, it's likely the surgery machine has a suitable option. As a fallback plan, you can use the cone of shame should no viable treatment be available without more vet skill. Additionally players can make a few treats that can go to their pets at home.
- Level 2 - 200 Vet Points. Two pet-themed mailboxes unlock, in addition to the Swampwater Taffy and Cooler than Liquid Nitrogen Nutrition Bar at the Medicine Crafting Table.
- Level 3 - 300 Vet Points. A Pet-themed wall decal unlocks. You can also craft Scorching Cinnamon Chew at the Medicine Crafting Table.
- Level 4 - 400 Vet Points. Feelgood Serum can be used at the exam table (allowing for a few cures without using surgery), along with The Stinkinator. Another pet-themed wall decal unlocks.
- Level 5 - 400 Vet Points. Can use the 'Soothe Pets' interaction at the exam table, and craft Wellness Treats at the Medicine Crafting Table. Another Pet Themed Wall decal is available.
- Level 6 - 600 Vet Points. Age Up and Age Down treats can be crafted, allowing immortality for your pets. After all, they only die of old age and aging them down from Elder to Adult cheats death. Yet another pet-themed wall decal.
- Level 7 - 700 Vet Points. Poop Randomizer Treats can be crafted. Another pet-themed wall decal.
- Level 8 - 800 Vet Points. Just a wall decal, this time.
- Level 9 - 900 Vet Points. The Lubricate Tailwagger Joint surgery is available, allowing the Sim to cure some rare and difficult diseases.
- Level 10 - 1000 Vet Points. The almighty Ambrosia Treat can be crafted, allowing you to bring a pet back from the dead. A new door for the vet clinic unlocks, as well.
Treating Animals: Equipment
5 Million Views! My YouTube channel has grown a lot the last 6 months. I now have over 100 videos on Youtube and am nearing 50k subscribers. I'd like to invite people to check out my content and, if you like what I'm doing, subscribe!
Two more objects are required to be able to treat all types of sickness pets may get. There's the exam tables, found in the same area of buy mode as the crafting lab. The lower tier one is uncomfortable, which will make animals more stressed during exams. Even your own pets, so it's worth it to get the better one if you're going professional. The Surgery Station is expensive, but can also be used to spay and neuter pets.
Treating Illness: Uncovering Symptoms and Calming Animals
A dog with hot paws and a glowing nose is treated on the examination table.
When a sick animal is around at home or in the vet clinic, you'll need to get them to an exam table or the surgery station. The surgery station can perform scans, while you'll use a variety of tests on the animal at the exam table to help determine whats wrong with it. Either one can be used exclusively to cure an animal, provided the right treatment is available.
The correct treatment will have a green thumbs up symbol. If none are present on either the exam table or surgery machine, then your veterinarian skill isn't high enough.
As you perform tests, the symptoms will be revealed. Once you've revealed all the symptoms, the disease will be known to you. If your Vet Skill is high enough, you'll find one of the treatments has a thumbs up symbol next to it - that is the correct cure. I've created a guide to Sicknesses, Symptoms and Cures as a reference for Veterinarians.
Animals get stressed while being examined. Keep stress down until you know the correct diagnosis.
While you're practicing medicine on a animal, you need to keep their stress down. Each test you do will stress them. You can only do a couple of interactions before the stress gets too high. The 'Calm' interaction helps with this, and can bring the animal down to 0 stress. Do this occasionally, and know that the fewer interactions you need to finish, the better it will go for the customer.
The Industrial Strength Relaxation Serum shot (which can be crafted before exams) can be used to completely clear the stress from an animal and prevent its stress from growing during the remainder of the exam. This is very handy when you need to do many tests to figure out the disease.
The treats you can produce at the medicine crafting station are... odd. Upon giving my pet some of these, he got a variety of illnesses. The pet didn't seem to care for the taste, either. The sicknesses the pets get seem to be based upon the name of the treat. For example the cinnamon can cause hot feet and a glowing nose, while the frost one can create frost fur. The only upside I see to these treats in particular is that it'd allow you to diagnose your pets at home and use them as guinea pigs to advance your veterinary career.
Ambrosia and Age Up Age Down
These are buried in the list of rewards for leveling up vet above, but worth mentioning here. Once you've attained a high enough level in Veterinarian, you can make pets immortal. Age them down from elder to keep them young and healthy. Resurrection of a pet who has died is also possible, using Ambrosia.
Acting | Archaeology | Baking | Charisma | Comedy | Cooking | Dancing | DJ Mixing | Fishing | Fitness | Flower Arranging | Gardening | Gourmet Cooking | Guitar | Handiness | Herbalism | Logic | Media Production | Mischief | Mixology | Painting | Parenting | Photography | Piano | Programming | Research and Debate Robotics Rocket Science | Singing | Vampire Lore | Veterinarian | Video Gaming | Violin | Wellness | Writing
Check Out My Youtube Channel!
We now have a Youtube Channel with over 50 guides in video format to go along with the huge site I've already created. Check it out and consider subscribing if you like my style.
In your own vet clinic your sim or their employees will have to make these vet treats and stock the fridge so that other sims can buy them. It becomes another way of making money for a vet.
The Guide on Running a Vet Clinic talks about employees a little Guide to Vet Clinic but in many way it is the same mechanics as retail employees. Guide to Managing Employees in Retail
The game does eventually clean them up and you can enable testingcheats on and then shift-click the animal and choose 'make happy' and also reset them. This prompts the game to 'heal' them although sometimes the animal still needs to walk to the edge of the lot before they seem to get healed.
Search the Site
The Sims 4 Eco Lifestyle Expansion
Visit the guide to learn about new features in the Eco Lifestyle Expansion, which launches June 5 for both PC/Mac and Consoles. You will find my video guide to the new additions there as well.
Super Sim Checklist + Other News
This is inspired by a new series in which I start at toddler and gradually take on the major bonuses. Here's a link to the full playlist!
I now have a guide page to Tiny Living Stuff where you can learn about Murphy Beds, the new death, as well as the lot bonuses you'll receive if you manage to keep the size of your lot down with this new pack's Tiny Home Lot Type.
Let's Play Playlist
New I now have a guide to Making Super Sims in The Sims 4. Look for a text version within the next 72h. It won't have THAT much more info but it will help out as a checklist.
This was inspired by a series, "Let's Play a Super Sim" in which I start at toddler and gradually take on the major bonuses. Here's a link to each part for people who are interested. You can also see the Let's Play as a Playlist on Youtube.
#1 Making a Top Notch Toddler
#2 Starting Childhood
#3 Finishing Childhood Aspirations
#4 Parenthood Character Values
#5 Teen Goals
#6 Finishing Teen
#7 Max Teen + Clubs and Tiny Living
#8 Adulthood - Vampire + Reward
New #9 Master Vampire
Latest Videos and Guides
- Sims 4 Ultimate Gameplay Tips Video
- Lot Traits Updated for all DLC
- 10 Objects that Add Gameplay to The Sims 4
- 10+ Mods That Add or Improve Gameplay in The Sims 4
- Spells List Updated & Info on Charge
- Around the World of Glimmerbrook
- Sims 4 Realm of Magic is Available Now. Here’s My Opinion On the Pack
- The Sims 4 Realm of Magic Features Deep-Dive
- Tutorial: Using The Sims 4’s New Stair Customization Tool
Discover University Expansion
The Sims 4 Discover University has been announced for November 15 for PC/Mac and December 17 for Xbox and Playstation 4 consoles. Click to learn more about the pack, see my summary of the livestream or read our FAQs below.
- New Career Law Career
- New Video Discover University Review
- New Video The Sims 4 Discover University Super Student
- New Engineering Career - Mechanical or Computer
- NEW Student Organizations (University Groups)
- Gameplay Features Guide (Robotics, Secret Society) Video
- Updated! Discover University Cheats
- Updated: Degrees Guide now also features a Scholarships List
- Discover University Features Guide
- Education Career - Professor or Administrator?
- Research and Debate Skill - Convince Others & Debate Guild
- Robotics and Cybernetics
- The Secret Society of Britechester
More videos coming soon!
New Patch for November 2019!
Realm of Magic
We now have a Videos page, where I'll list every submission to our Sims 4 Gameplay Guides Channel. I'm taking feedback seriously, improving recording and sound quality and other issues with my video guides. Let me know what you think and subscribe for more like it. If you comment on the videos page with a request I may bump it higher on my to do list (no promises though!). Here is a listing of all videos released to date, in order of release:
Sims 4 February Patch Summary
Get Famous: Celestial Crystal Crown
Visit My Channel to Subscribe!
Get Famous First Impressions
First Person Mode (Sims 4 Update)
Get Famous Acting Livestream
Livestream Summary (Latest Patch News)
Patch News: COMING SOON
The Sims 4 Get Famous Expansion
Archaeology Guide (Jungle Adventure)
Jungle Adventure Gameplay
Nerd Brain and Computer Whiz
Spa Day Review and Gameplay Guide
The Sims 4 Whims & How to Use Them
Ambrosia Ingredients and Raising the Dead
The Sims 4: Making a Super Sim
The Sims 4 Careers (Improved)
Seasons Holiday Decorations Guide
Cool Kitchen Stuff
How to Woohoo & Try for Baby
Playing a Moocher
Sims 4 Writing Skill
Father Winter's Baby
Flower Shop Seasons/Get to Work Retail