- New Aspirations in Realm of Magic: Purveyor of Potions and Spellcraft and Sorcery
- Curses Guide
- Realm of Magic Review Video
- Realm of Magic Tips Video
- Magical Bloodline and Caster Offspring
- Realm of Magic Guide
- Realm of Magic Cheats
- Spellcasters in Realm of Magic
- Spellcaster Perks
- Spells List, Casting & Effects
- Spells List Updated & Info on Charge
- Around the World of Glimmerbrook
- Sims 4 Realm of Magic is Available Now. Here’s My Opinion On the Pack
- The Sims 4 Realm of Magic Features Deep-Dive
- Tutorial: Using The Sims 4’s New Stair Customization Tool
- New Staircase Tool – Sims 4 Maxis Monthly Livestream Recap
The Sims 4 Skills and Emotions
Faster Skill Gains and Better Results when in the Best Mood.
The Sims 4's Skill System ties directly to Emotions. When you use a Skill, being in the Ideal Emotion helps raise the rate at which you'll gain Skill Levels. This has been proven by Forum Moderator Nutella who did some testing comparing results between Very Happy and Very X for each Skill. Being near 'Very' Emotions does not help - you need to be all the way to Very Inspired, Very Happy, etc. However, do know that Very Happy or just Happy are good Moods for Skilling, as they affect all Skills in a positive way, allowing you to gain levels faster.
Skills' Ideal Moods for Gaining Levels Faster
Here are all the Skills and their Ideal Moods. Being in the Ideal Mood will boost Skill Level gain over Happy by about 20%, depending on the Skill. I must thank Member DarkWalker for providing the actual numbers. On each, you will see a link to an Emotion Guide to help you get that Emotion. Read the main Guide to Emotions to understand how the system works, getting Emotional Auras, Teas, and how Happiness boosts all other Positive Emotions. Happiness increases Skill gains by 20% when Happy and 40% when Very Happy, so it's helpful to all Skills.
Muser - Note all the Skills that are boosted by Muser, which is a Bonus Trait for selecting a Creativity Aspiration for your Sim upon creation. This boosts many Creative Skills and also raises effective level, as seen below!
- Charisma - Happy/Very Happy (25%/40%). Use Confident once Lvl 10, as it boosts Effective Level.
- Comedy - Playful/Very Playful (40%/60%)
- Cooking - Inspired/Very Inspired (40%/60%) (60%/80% with Muser Bonus Trait)
- Fishing - Focused/Very Focused (40%/60%)
- Fitness - Energized/Very Energized (40%/60%) Anger also helps if you've the Hot Headed Trait.
- Gardening - Focused/Very Focused (40%/60%)
- Gourmet Cooking - Inspired/Very Inspired (40%/60%) (60%/80% with Muser Bonus Trait)
- Guitar - Inspired (40%/60%) (60%/80% with Muser Bonus Trait)
- Handiness - Focused
- Logic - Focused (40%/60%)
- Mischief - Angry, (20%) but Happy/Very Happy (20%/40%) is equal or better. Angry Helps with Mischief Interactions.
- Mixology - Inspired/Very Inspired (40%/60%) (60%/80% with Muser Bonus Trait)
- Painting - Inspired/Very Inspired (40%/60%) (60%/80% with Muser Bonus Trait)
- Piano - Inspired/Very Inspired (40%/60%) (60%/80% with Muser Bonus Trait)
- Programming - Focused (40%/60%)
- Rocket Science - Focused (40%/60%)
- Video Gaming - Focused (40%/60% but seems to get further bonuses, making this Skill level very fast).
- Violin - Inspired/Very Inspired (40%/60%) (60%/80% with Muser Bonus Trait)
- Writing - Inspired/Very Inspired (40%/60%) (60%/80% with Muser Bonus Trait)
Skills, Emotions and Best Results
Now, all those Emotions will help your Sims make it to level 10. Forum Member Darkwalker submitted some interesting data from the game that helps us understand what Emotions do to Skills. Being under the effects of an Emotion will raise your Sim's effective Skill level, meaning they are more likely to produce higher quality items (Painting, Writing) or have a lesser chance of failure (Charisma, getting shocked with Handiness). Negative Emotions may boost some Skills, but drain others dramatically as in the case of Dazed. Thankfully, it's clear that these can boost your Sim past the max of 10, as evidenced by the increased rate of Masterpieces or Bestsellers when Very Inspired.
Obviously, the Ideal Emotion is usually best, but based on this information you may not worry if your Sim is confident and working on a Skill that doesn't require it. Every Emotion has impacts on Skills' effective levels as follows:
- Happy: +1 to all Skills, +2 if Very Happy
- Confident: +1 to all Skills, +2 to Charisma. +2 to all Skills if Very Confident
- Energized: +2 to all Physical Skills, +3 when very Energized.
- Flirty: +1 to Charisma, +2 if Very Flirty
- Focused: +2 to all Mental Skills, +3 if Very Focused
- Inspired: +2 to all Creative Skills, +3 if Very Inspired. With Muser (bonus Trait for Creative Aspirations) it is +3/+4!
- Playful: +2 to Comedy, +1 to Charisma. +3 to Comedy if Very Playful, +4 to Comedy if Hysterical (but can be Dangerous)
- Angry: -1 to Creative, Mental Skills and Charisma, +1 to Mischief/Physical, Furious is -2 Creative/Mental/Charisma and +2 Mischief/Physical. +3 if Enraged, but the others suffer -3. Being Enraged can be dangerous, as it is near the border for Killing a Sim.
- Bored: -1 to All Skills
- Dazed: -3 to All Skills
- Embarrassed: -1 to Social Skills.
- Sad: -1 to all Skills except Creative, which gets +1. Depressed makes it -2 and removes the bonus to Creative. If your Sim has the Gloomy Trait, you get a +2 Bonus when Depressed. Sad is not a dangerous Emotion.
- Tense: -1 to all Skills, -2 if Very Tense.
- Uncomfortable: -1 to all Skills, -2 if Very Uncomfortable
This should teach you how to use Emotions to benefit your Sim, and maybe go ahead and work on something without being in the Ideal Emotion at times. Emotions do have a massive impact on Skills as evidenced above. You can thank DarkWalker for providing the valuable data here.
Check Out My Youtube Channel!
We now have a Youtube Channel with over 50 guides in video format to go along with the huge site I've already created. Check it out and consider subscribing if you like my style.
This policy contains information about your privacy. By posting, you are declaring that you understand this policy:
- Your name, rating, website address, town, country, state and comment will be publicly displayed if entered.
- Aside from the data entered into these form fields, other stored data about your comment will include:
- Your IP address (not displayed)
- The time/date of your submission (displayed)
- Your email address will not be shared. It is collected for only two reasons:
- Administrative purposes, should a need to contact you arise.
- To inform you of new comments, should you subscribe to receive notifications.
- A cookie may be set on your computer. This is used to remember your inputs. It will expire by itself.
This policy is subject to change at any time and without notice.
Realm of Magic
The Sims 4 Realm of Magic comes September 10 for PC/Mac and releases October 15 for Xbox One and Playstation 4. See my Video Guide to Features in Realm of Magic. We've compiled information on upcoming features from developer tweets and used the trailer to try to share everything we know.
NEW - Here is the Text Guide to Realm of Magic.
The Sims 4 Moschino Stuff Review
New: The Sims 4 Moschino Stuff Review - My thoughts on the photography improvements, fashion photographer, and build buy additions in The Sims 4 Moschino Stuff which is available today for PC/Mac.
The Sims 4 Moschino Stuff Pack is available by 12:30-1PM EST for PC/Mac and September 3 for Xbox One and Playstation 4. Click to learn about the new pack, freelance photography and the new clothing. You can also see my announcement video and the game's trailer within that upload.
Search the Site
New Videos and Guides
Armageddon Mod (Mod/CC Reviews).
Latest in The New How To Section : Learn How to Write Songs and Make Money with Music in The Sims 4. Also, How to Get Abducted by Aliens. We have a guide for using Pregnancy Cheats, Get a Job, Adopting a Kid and How to Cheat.
Alien Abduction: I made a Video Guide to Alien Abductions, Alien Babies in The Sims 4 Get to Work.
New How To Section : The new How To's section is updated with How to Get Abducted by Aliens. You can also learn how to use Pregnancy Cheats, Get a Job, Adopting a Kid and How to Cheat. It's meant to help newcomers or those with specific problems and will be greatly expanded over coming months.
We now have a Videos page, where I'll list every submission to our Sims 4 Gameplay Guides Channel. I'm taking feedback seriously, improving recording and sound quality and other issues with my video guides. Let me know what you think and subscribe for more like it. If you comment on the videos page with a request I may bump it higher on my to do list (no promises though!). Here is a listing of all videos released to date, in order of release:
Sims 4 February Patch Summary
Get Famous: Celestial Crystal Crown
Visit My Channel to Subscribe!
Get Famous First Impressions
First Person Mode (Sims 4 Update)
Get Famous Acting Livestream
Livestream Summary (Latest Patch News)
Patch News: COMING SOON
The Sims 4 Get Famous Expansion
Archaeology Guide (Jungle Adventure)
Jungle Adventure Gameplay
Nerd Brain and Computer Whiz
Spa Day Review and Gameplay Guide
The Sims 4 Whims & How to Use Them
Ambrosia Ingredients and Raising the Dead
The Sims 4: Making a Super Sim
The Sims 4 Careers (Improved)
Seasons Holiday Decorations Guide
Cool Kitchen Stuff
How to Woohoo & Try for Baby
Playing a Moocher
Sims 4 Writing Skill
Father Winter's Baby
Flower Shop Seasons/Get to Work Retail