New features in the Sims 4 June 2020
The Sims 4 Eco Lifestyle Guide
Eco Footprint: How it Works
Neighborhood Action Plans
How to Cheat in Sims 4 Eco Lifestyle
Civil Designer Career
Insect Farms & Bio Fuel
Fabrication Skill in Eco Lifestyle
Juice Fizzing NEW
Traits and Aspirations in DLC
Gameplay Ideas for Sims 4 Eco Lifestyle
The Sims 4 Get to Work Expansion
Features, Active Careers, and Open for Business
My guides to Get to Work are available: Baking, Aliens, Doctor, Detective, Photography, Sixam, the Alien World, Scientist, and Opening a Business! The next Pack releases December 8, 2015 - Get Together Expansion.
The Sims 4 Get to Work Expansion Splash Screen
Overview and Release Date
The Sims 4 Get to Work Expansion Pack was released March 31, 2015. It is a hybrid of two very popular Expansions from The Sims history - The Sims 3 Ambitions and -- finally -- The Sims 2 Open for Business! Here are the gameplay features brought with Get to Work that a player new to the Expansion or seeking to buy it needs to know.
Open for Business!
Click to Enlarge. The Sims 2's Open for Business features are back in Sims 4!
Get to Work lets you turn a lot into a retail store, which can then be boosted with signs and other decorations to increase curb appeal from Sims out shopping. You can make nearly any kind of store you like, from selling foods to clothing and almost anything from Buy Mode. We have a Full Guide to Retail that can help you explore this feature and provide tips on how to manage a business. Here is an overview of features:
- Customize through build mode and make any type of business you like: an art gallery, bakery, grocer (sort of), clothing boutique, or bookstore. You can sell nearly anything!
- Dozens of new build mode objects to make your shop your own. Truly beautiful stores can be created by those with skill in building.
- Hire and fire employees, manage their uniforms, and promote them when they're dissatisfied with pay.
- Employees level in retail skills - from their ability to drive sales to their work ethic and ability to clean
- Gain perk points that let you boost aspects of your business and your own Sim's ability to drive sales.
- Synergizes well with crafting Skills like Painting, Handiness' Woodworking, and the new Skills in the Get to Work Expansion Pack
- View profit reports for the day, and gradually evolve your store with more expensive products
- Vending machines let Sims buy food without interacting with your staff. This can let you cook while they buy it up!
- Adjust your markup to either sell many products at a low price, or few products at a very high price
Three New Active Careers
Doctor, Detective, and Scientist are all featured in the EP. Players get to choose whether they follow their Sim to work and take control or not. This offers you some flexibility in play. However, to really get promotions effectively, you'll need to assume control. Players can extend the work day by up to 2 hours by clicking the meter at top left, which is also used to leave work early.
10 Million Views! My YouTube channel has grown a lot the last 6 months. I now have over 125 videos on Youtube and am nearing 100k subscribers. I'd like to invite people to check out my content and, if you like what I'm doing, subscribe!
Click to Enlarge. Hospital for the Doctor Career
Click to Enlarge. Healing and Diagnosing Sick Patients will be part of the Doctor Career
Doctor Career Features
The Doctor Career requires the most work out of a player of all three Active Careers. You will need to determine which disease a patient has, based on their visual symptoms and the tests you perform. You can read a full Guide to the Doctor Career here.
- Use treadmill tests and X-rays to help diagnose patients
- Analyze swabs to figure out their illness
- Perform body scans, take temperatures, and discuss patient health
- Deliver babies and perform surgeries on patients that require it
- Make house calls and sometimes treat multiple Sims
- See your Doctor grow in skill at diagnosing and treating patients as they advance
Click to Enlarge. A shot inside the Sims 'Get to Work' Police Station
Click to Enlarge. A shot of the Detective Career in The Sims 4 Get to Work.
Click to Enlarge. Investigate Crime Scenes
Detective Career Features
The Detective Career starts with some low level work but grows to allow your Sim to fully pursue criminals and solve their crimes. You will eventually take on your own cases and get to interrogate suspects in order to get confessions. Here's a full guide to the Detective Career
- Will work out of the new police station venue, but travel to crime scenes to gather clues
- Search suspects, fingerprint them, and take mug shots
- Gradually piece together information via photographing/gathering clues and interviewing witnesses
- The notebook serves to give you a list of physical features and traits of your suspect
- With enough evidence, issue an APB on your suspect and apprehend them
- Interrogate the suspect, with hilarious interactions under the good/bad cop menus and eventually get them to confess
Click to Enlarge. A Scientist tests out a Freeze Ray they Invented
Click to Enlarge. Using the Invention Constructor
Scientist Career Features
The Scientist Career is the easiest of the three, but offers the biggest rewards! You will have Eureka! moments when your Sim has had a breakthrough, then get to build a new design using the invention constructor. This one offers a good deal of freedom when at work, but if you're pushing for promotions you must follow objectives. Learn more in the guide to the Scientist Career.
- Unlock simple, helpful inventions like the Hover Lamp and Momentum Conserver, but many more powerful creations await you!
- Unlock the SimRay and gradually upgrade it with the ability to Transform objects (and make LOTS of money!) and mind control Sims.
- The Cloning Machine will let you duplicate many smaller objects, and can be upgraded to clone a copy of your Sim.
- The Satellite Dish can prevent Alien abductions, which is VERY helpful to those players who don't want to be whisked off and impregnated by an extraterrestrial.
- Concoct Serums that will allow a Sim to influence emotion, stave off death, and even turn into a ghost for a time.
- Enjoy one of the most productive collecting lots in existence, with many opportunities to pick up metals and fossils.
Click to Enlarge. A Dimensional Portal leads to the alien world of Sixam
Click to Enlarge. A female Alien on Sixam. Males wear similar high-tech clothing
Aliens are in the Expansion, and may abduct Sims at random times. Male Sims may be impregnated by Aliens, and will have babies. You can choose to keep the baby or send it back to its homeworld, permanently. Aliens are also walking around town in disguise. The Scientist Career and Rocket Science can both lead Sims to the planet Sixam, where you can meet Aliens and even befriend them to add them to your household.
Playing as an Alien, you can disguise yourself at any time and even alter the way your Alien appears while in disguise. Aliens have the power to discover other Sims' traits, as well as empathize with them to experience the same Emotion as that Sim. Click here for a full guide to Aliens.
Click to Enlarge. Level up your Photography Skill.
Click to Enlarge. Take Pictures of the Game World.
The Photography Skill lets Sims take pictures of the game world, while also being able to sell the photographs. You can take up to five pictures when you use the camera, and choose a size for the picture and apply filter effects. These can be framed and hung on a wall to display in your Sim's home. This Skill features only 5 levels, but they avoided unnecessary skilling to master it.
- Capture Pictures of anything in-game
- Sell Photographs and improve your Sim's Skill level to get more options
Click to Enlarge. A Picture of a Bakery in The Sims 4 Get to Work.
The Baking Skill is largely like cooking and gourmet cooking, but focusing on baked goods made via the oven and cupcake factory. The baking skill, along with the other two cooking Skills will allow your Sim to make a retail food shop, where Sims can buy dishes. A restaurant is not possible, but you can make loads of dough (heh) on selling high-quality baked goods.
There are Geodes that can be found on Sixam. You may also collect three new plant types there, two metals, two crystals, and a new element for your collections. These are largely exclusive to the alien planet.
Other Get to Work Guides
Retail: Customers and Sales
Retail: Employees and Managing
Retail Perks in Get to Work
Baking Skill Guide
Photography Skill Guide
Doctor Career, Diseases and Diagnosing Patients
Planet Sixam (Alien World)
Check Out My Youtube Channel!
We now have a Youtube Channel with over 50 guides in video format to go along with the huge site I've already created. Check it out and consider subscribing if you like my style.
Thank You for Everything. You're amazing :D
quick question: if I download the expansion pack, will I be able to use worlds that I created before the download and continue them with the expansion pack? first time using expansion packs. thanks!
So basically, only one sim can be actively at work at one time.
Nifty Knitting & Eco Lifestyle Guides
New features in the Sims 4 June 2020
Search my Sims 4 Site
Sims 4 Packs & DLC
Super Sim Checklist + Other News
This is inspired by a new series in which I start at toddler and gradually take on the major bonuses. Here's a link to the full playlist!
I now have a guide page to Tiny Living Stuff where you can learn about Murphy Beds, the new death, as well as the lot bonuses you'll receive if you manage to keep the size of your lot down with this new pack's Tiny Home Lot Type.
Let's Play Playlist
New I now have a guide to Making Super Sims in The Sims 4. Look for a text version within the next 72h. It won't have THAT much more info but it will help out as a checklist.
This was inspired by a series, "Let's Play a Super Sim" in which I start at toddler and gradually take on the major bonuses. Here's a link to each part for people who are interested. You can also see the Let's Play as a Playlist on Youtube.
Latest Videos and Guides
- Sims 4 Ultimate Gameplay Tips Video
- Lot Traits Updated for all DLC
- 10 Objects that Add Gameplay to The Sims 4
- 10+ Mods That Add or Improve Gameplay in The Sims 4
- Spells List Updated & Info on Charge
- Around the World of Glimmerbrook
- Sims 4 Realm of Magic is Available Now. Here’s My Opinion On the Pack
- The Sims 4 Realm of Magic Features Deep-Dive
- Tutorial: Using The Sims 4’s New Stair Customization Tool
Discover University Expansion
The Sims 4 Discover University has been announced for November 15 for PC/Mac and December 17 for Xbox and Playstation 4 consoles. Click to learn more about the pack, see my summary of the livestream or read our FAQs below.
- New Career Law Career
- New Video Discover University Review
- New Video The Sims 4 Discover University Super Student
- New Engineering Career - Mechanical or Computer
- NEW Student Organizations (University Groups)
- Gameplay Features Guide (Robotics, Secret Society) Video
- Updated! Discover University Cheats
- Updated: Degrees Guide now also features a Scholarships List
- Discover University Features Guide
- Education Career - Professor or Administrator?
- Research and Debate Skill - Convince Others & Debate Guild
- Robotics and Cybernetics
- The Secret Society of Britechester
More videos coming soon!