The Sims 4 Get to Work Expansion
Features, Active Careers, and Open for Business
My guides to Get to Work are available: Baking, Aliens, Doctor, Detective, Photography, Sixam, the Alien World, Scientist, and Opening a Business! The next Pack releases December 8, 2015 - Get Together Expansion.
The Sims 4 Get to Work Expansion Splash Screen
Overview and Release Date
The Sims 4 Get to Work Expansion Pack was released March 31, 2015. It is a hybrid of two very popular Expansions from The Sims history - The Sims 3 Ambitions and -- finally -- The Sims 2 Open for Business! Here are the gameplay features brought with Get to Work that a player new to the Expansion or seeking to buy it needs to know.
Open for Business!
Click to Enlarge. The Sims 2's Open for Business features are back in Sims 4!
Get to Work lets you turn a lot into a retail store, which can then be boosted with signs and other decorations to increase curb appeal from Sims out shopping. You can make nearly any kind of store you like, from selling foods to clothing and almost anything from Buy Mode. We have a Full Guide to Retail that can help you explore this feature and provide tips on how to manage a business. Here is an overview of features:
- Customize through build mode and make any type of business you like: an art gallery, bakery, grocer (sort of), clothing boutique, or bookstore. You can sell nearly anything!
- Dozens of new build mode objects to make your shop your own. Truly beautiful stores can be created by those with skill in building.
- Hire and fire employees, manage their uniforms, and promote them when they're dissatisfied with pay.
- Employees level in retail skills - from their ability to drive sales to their work ethic and ability to clean
- Gain perk points that let you boost aspects of your business and your own Sim's ability to drive sales.
- Synergizes well with crafting Skills like Painting, Handiness' Woodworking, and the new Skills in the Get to Work Expansion Pack
- View profit reports for the day, and gradually evolve your store with more expensive products
- Vending machines let Sims buy food without interacting with your staff. This can let you cook while they buy it up!
- Adjust your markup to either sell many products at a low price, or few products at a very high price
Three New Active Careers
Doctor, Detective, and Scientist are all featured in the EP. Players get to choose whether they follow their Sim to work and take control or not. This offers you some flexibility in play. However, to really get promotions effectively, you'll need to assume control. Players can extend the work day by up to 2 hours by clicking the meter at top left, which is also used to leave work early.
Click to Enlarge. Hospital for the Doctor Career
Click to Enlarge. Healing and Diagnosing Sick Patients will be part of the Doctor Career
Doctor Career Features
The Doctor Career requires the most work out of a player of all three Active Careers. You will need to determine which disease a patient has, based on their visual symptoms and the tests you perform. You can read a full Guide to the Doctor Career here.
- Use treadmill tests and X-rays to help diagnose patients
- Analyze swabs to figure out their illness
- Perform body scans, take temperatures, and discuss patient health
- Deliver babies and perform surgeries on patients that require it
- Make house calls and sometimes treat multiple Sims
- See your Doctor grow in skill at diagnosing and treating patients as they advance
Click to Enlarge. A shot inside the Sims 'Get to Work' Police Station
Click to Enlarge. A shot of the Detective Career in The Sims 4 Get to Work.
Click to Enlarge. Investigate Crime Scenes
Detective Career Features
The Detective Career starts with some low level work but grows to allow your Sim to fully pursue criminals and solve their crimes. You will eventually take on your own cases and get to interrogate suspects in order to get confessions. Here's a full guide to the Detective Career
- Will work out of the new police station venue, but travel to crime scenes to gather clues
- Search suspects, fingerprint them, and take mug shots
- Gradually piece together information via photographing/gathering clues and interviewing witnesses
- The notebook serves to give you a list of physical features and traits of your suspect
- With enough evidence, issue an APB on your suspect and apprehend them
- Interrogate the suspect, with hilarious interactions under the good/bad cop menus and eventually get them to confess
Click to Enlarge. A Scientist tests out a Freeze Ray they Invented
Click to Enlarge. Using the Invention Constructor
Scientist Career Features
The Scientist Career is the easiest of the three, but offers the biggest rewards! You will have Eureka! moments when your Sim has had a breakthrough, then get to build a new design using the invention constructor. This one offers a good deal of freedom when at work, but if you're pushing for promotions you must follow objectives. Learn more in the guide to the Scientist Career.
- Unlock simple, helpful inventions like the Hover Lamp and Momentum Conserver, but many more powerful creations await you!
- Unlock the SimRay and gradually upgrade it with the ability to Transform objects (and make LOTS of money!) and mind control Sims.
- The Cloning Machine will let you duplicate many smaller objects, and can be upgraded to clone a copy of your Sim.
- The Satellite Dish can prevent Alien abductions, which is VERY helpful to those players who don't want to be whisked off and impregnated by an extraterrestrial.
- Concoct Serums that will allow a Sim to influence emotion, stave off death, and even turn into a ghost for a time.
- Enjoy one of the most productive collecting lots in existence, with many opportunities to pick up metals and fossils.
Click to Enlarge. A Dimensional Portal leads to the alien world of Sixam
Click to Enlarge. A female Alien on Sixam. Males wear similar high-tech clothing
Aliens are in the Expansion, and may abduct Sims at random times. Male Sims may be impregnated by Aliens, and will have babies. You can choose to keep the baby or send it back to its homeworld, permanently. Aliens are also walking around town in disguise. The Scientist Career and Rocket Science can both lead Sims to the planet Sixam, where you can meet Aliens and even befriend them to add them to your household.
Playing as an Alien, you can disguise yourself at any time and even alter the way your Alien appears while in disguise. Aliens have the power to discover other Sims' traits, as well as empathize with them to experience the same Emotion as that Sim. Click here for a full guide to Aliens.
Click to Enlarge. Level up your Photography Skill.
Click to Enlarge. Take Pictures of the Game World.
The Photography Skill lets Sims take pictures of the game world, while also being able to sell the photographs. You can take up to five pictures when you use the camera, and choose a size for the picture and apply filter effects. These can be framed and hung on a wall to display in your Sim's home. This Skill features only 5 levels, but they avoided unnecessary skilling to master it.
- Capture Pictures of anything in-game
- Sell Photographs and improve your Sim's Skill level to get more options
Click to Enlarge. A Picture of a Bakery in The Sims 4 Get to Work.
The Baking Skill is largely like cooking and gourmet cooking, but focusing on baked goods made via the oven and cupcake factory. The baking skill, along with the other two cooking Skills will allow your Sim to make a retail food shop, where Sims can buy dishes. A restaurant is not possible, but you can make loads of dough (heh) on selling high-quality baked goods.
There are Geodes that can be found on Sixam. You may also collect three new plant types there, two metals, two crystals, and a new element for your collections. These are largely exclusive to the alien planet.
Other Get to Work Guides
Retail: Customers and Sales
Retail: Employees and Managing
Retail Perks in Get to Work
Baking Skill Guide
Photography Skill Guide
Doctor Career, Diseases and Diagnosing Patients
Planet Sixam (Alien World)
Check Out My Youtube Channel!
We now have a Youtube Channel with over 50 guides in video format to go along with the huge site I've already created. Check it out and consider subscribing if you like my style.
Share Tips and FAQs (133)
Our Sims 4 Community is the place to go for faster answers to questions and discussions about the game. Use the form below to share your own experiences and provide helpful tips to other readers. We are not affiliated with EA and cannot make changes to the game, nor fix bugs.
Thank You for Everything. You're amazing :D
Codes instead of Text
So basically, only one sim can be actively at work at one time.
Sims 4 Packs & DLC
New Videos and Guides
Armageddon Mod (Mod/CC Reviews).
Latest in The New How To Section : Learn How to Write Songs and Make Money with Music in The Sims 4. Also, How to Get Abducted by Aliens. We have a guide for using Pregnancy Cheats, Get a Job, Adopting a Kid and How to Cheat.
Alien Abduction: I made a Video Guide to Alien Abductions, Alien Babies in The Sims 4 Get to Work.
New How To Section : The new How To's section is updated with How to Get Abducted by Aliens. You can also learn how to use Pregnancy Cheats, Get a Job, Adopting a Kid and How to Cheat. It's meant to help newcomers or those with specific problems and will be greatly expanded over coming months.
Seasons and Guide Updates
We now have a Videos page, where I'll list every submission to our Sims 4 Gameplay Guides Channel. I'm taking feedback seriously, improving recording and sound quality and other issues with my video guides. Let me know what you think and subscribe for more like it. If you comment on the videos page with a request I may bump it higher on my to do list (no promises though!). Here is a listing of all videos released to date, in order of release:
Sims 4 February Patch Summary
Get Famous: Celestial Crystal Crown
Visit My Channel to Subscribe!
Get Famous First Impressions
First Person Mode (Sims 4 Update)
Get Famous Acting Livestream
Livestream Summary (Latest Patch News)
Patch News: COMING SOON
The Sims 4 Get Famous Expansion
Archaeology Guide (Jungle Adventure)
Jungle Adventure Gameplay
Nerd Brain and Computer Whiz
Spa Day Review and Gameplay Guide
The Sims 4 Whims & How to Use Them
Ambrosia Ingredients and Raising the Dead
The Sims 4: Making a Super Sim
The Sims 4 Careers (Improved)
Seasons Holiday Decorations Guide
Cool Kitchen Stuff
How to Woohoo & Try for Baby
Playing a Moocher
Sims 4 Writing Skill
Father Winter's Baby
Flower Shop Seasons/Get to Work Retail