New features in the Sims 4 Patch
The Sims 4 Eco Lifestyle Guide
Eco Footprint: How it Works
Neighborhood Action Plans
How to Cheat in Sims 4 Eco Lifestyle
Civil Designer Career
Insect Farms & Bio Fuel
Fabrication Skill in Eco Lifestyle
Juice Fizzing NEW
Traits and Aspirations in DLC
Gameplay Ideas for Sims 4 Eco Lifestyle
The Sims 4 Cache
Safe Files to Delete and Origin Cache Cleaning
Clearing your cache can prevent gameplay issues and help when the Sims 4 game won't start.
Sometimes things go wrong with a cache file, particularly after a new patch is released for The Sims 4. Cleaning up the cache files can improve performance and allow the game to start when it will not otherwise work. It's a good idea to do this once in a while in order to ensure stability, because while the Sims 4 is a rather stable game, things sometimes go wrong and many issues we can't identify. Deleting cache files is one way to fix a lot of problems.
The Sims 4's game cache is located at Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4/ on both PC and Mac.
1. Delete the localthumbscache.package file in this directory.
2. Go inside the cache folder and delete all files that end in .cache, but do not delete the actual directory.
3. Go back, then to the cachestr folder. Delete all files here, but again do not delete the actual directory.
4. Right-click your saves folder and select copy. Pick an empty space in the same folder and pick paste. You'll get a copy of the saves folder.
5. Go into the original save folder and then to scratch directory. Delete everything here.
6. Load the game. You will may get a complaint the save is out of date. Exit the game. Reload once more and the files will be regenerated, you can now load a save game. You're done, and your issue may be fixed.
If you cannot load the save after a couple tries, which is really unlikely, go into your copy of the saves folder and copy the scratch folder. Go into the original saves folder and paste it there. Select to copy and replace all files.
When it Still Won't Run
First if you're having trouble getting The Sims 4 to run after an update or it won't patch, ensure the process is not stuck. Hit Control + Alt + Delete and then start Task manager. In Processes, Look for TS4.exe. Click the process and then end it. See if you can now patch or run the game.
Repair Game Go to Origin and then your library. Right click The Sims 4 and select 'Repair Game'. This can reportedly fix a lot of problems, though I've not run into one that needed this solution.
If It Still Won't Work Check Crinrict's Blog for info on Clearing Origin Cache and follow his instructions carefully.
I hope this helps you get the game started. If you had a problem and found the solution, share it with others in our comments below. We cannot offer technical help in the comments here but you can Visit our Technical Help Board on the Forum in order to view more helpful documents or submit your own question. We have kind, helpful folks who can probably assist you or point you toward answers. Registration on our Forum is instant and does not require email validation.
New Patch & Eco Lifestyle Guides
New features in the Sims 4 Patch
Search my Sims 4 Site
- Discover University
- Realm of Magic Game Pack
- Island Living Expansion
- Island Living Cheats
- Clean up Sulani
- Get Famous
- Careers and Top Jobs
- Skill Guides
- Get to Work
- Get Together
- City Living
- Cats and Dogs
- Style Influencer
- Terrain Tools
Super Sim Checklist + Other News
This is inspired by a new series in which I start at toddler and gradually take on the major bonuses. Here's a link to the full playlist!
I now have a guide page to Tiny Living Stuff where you can learn about Murphy Beds, the new death, as well as the lot bonuses you'll receive if you manage to keep the size of your lot down with this new pack's Tiny Home Lot Type.
Let's Play Playlist
New I now have a guide to Making Super Sims in The Sims 4. Look for a text version within the next 72h. It won't have THAT much more info but it will help out as a checklist.
This was inspired by a series, "Let's Play a Super Sim" in which I start at toddler and gradually take on the major bonuses. Here's a link to each part for people who are interested. You can also see the Let's Play as a Playlist on Youtube.
Latest Videos and Guides
- Sims 4 Ultimate Gameplay Tips Video
- Lot Traits Updated for all DLC
- 10 Objects that Add Gameplay to The Sims 4
- 10+ Mods That Add or Improve Gameplay in The Sims 4
- Spells List Updated & Info on Charge
- Around the World of Glimmerbrook
- Sims 4 Realm of Magic is Available Now. Here’s My Opinion On the Pack
- The Sims 4 Realm of Magic Features Deep-Dive
- Tutorial: Using The Sims 4’s New Stair Customization Tool
Discover University Expansion
The Sims 4 Discover University has been announced for November 15 for PC/Mac and December 17 for Xbox and Playstation 4 consoles. Click to learn more about the pack, see my summary of the livestream or read our FAQs below.
- New Career Law Career
- New Video Discover University Review
- New Video The Sims 4 Discover University Super Student
- New Engineering Career - Mechanical or Computer
- NEW Student Organizations (University Groups)
- Gameplay Features Guide (Robotics, Secret Society) Video
- Updated! Discover University Cheats
- Updated: Degrees Guide now also features a Scholarships List
- Discover University Features Guide
- Education Career - Professor or Administrator?
- Research and Debate Skill - Convince Others & Debate Guild
- Robotics and Cybernetics
- The Secret Society of Britechester
More videos coming soon!