The Sims 4: Quick Gardening
Graft and Take Cutting to Get Rare Plants
Taking Cuttings, then Grafting them to existing plants will produce new types of plants, but only in the right combination!
Once you've leveled Gardening to 5, you can begin taking cuttings from plants in your garden and in the wild. These can then be grafted onto other plants. The base plant type determines the type of cutting you get as well as the graft result (so first listed in a plant that has multiple types growing). Having other harvestables growing from a plant doesn't matter, so long as the first one listed is the right type. So a tulip base cutting grafted onto a chrysanthemum base plant will produce bird of paradise.
The base type is what matters, not what else is on the plant. This applies to both grafting and take cutting. The base here is Orchid.
You can take cutting from either type of plant in this list and graft it onto the other. It works in both directions. Some plants grow faster than others, however, so I've listed them in such a way that the one you'll graft it onto is the faster-growing type of plant.
Common Plant Grafting
Why mess with those from seed packets? Well, the new fruit will be of the same quality as the base plant. So you can skip several evolution levels by getting it from grafting, while getting Gardening Skill XP in the process.
- Grape (Common) - Graft Bluebell onto Strawberry
- Parsley (Common) - Graft Sage onto Basil
- Plantain (Common) - Graft Pear onto Lemon
Rare Plant Grafting
- Bird of Paradise (Rare) - Graft Tulip onto Chrysanthemum.
- Bonsai Buds (Rare) - Graft Daisy onto Strawberry.
- Bonsai Buds (Rare) - Graft Roses onto Grape.
- Pomegranate (Rare) - Graft Cherry onto Apple.
- Dragonfruit (Rare) - Graft Snapdragon onto Strawberry.
- Cow Berry (Rare) - Graft Dragonfruit onto Snapdragon.
- Orchid (Rare) - Graft Lily onto Snapdragon.
- Death Flower (Rare) - Graft Pomegranate onto Orchid.
Getting a death flower can be extrapolated by using the above info, but I'll simplify it for you here:
- Graft Cherry to Apple to make Pomegranate
- Graft Lily to Snapdragon to make Orchid
- Graft Pomegranate to Orchid to make Death Flowers
- Harvest the Death Flowers, Plant one, and enjoy unlimited Death Flowers, which can be given to the Reaper by another Sim to save his target from death!
Learn the locations of all plants with our Gardening Plant List here.
Links to in-game screen shots of cherry tree locations
Here is the open bug report read through to the most recent posts and you'll see that grafting works mostly on home lots so the work around is to harvest wild plants, grow them on your home lot where you can then graft to complete the plant collection etc.
If you're still having problems after updating your game, removing all/any mods and cc and testing in-game and trying a Repair Game option through the Origin Client, follow the link I provided in the above comment to the Bug Report and report it.
Press ctrl+shift+c (for Mac only(i don't know the one for pc sorry)) then type in testing_cheats true, then after that do bb.showhidden items
We do have this guide here there if you are looking for more precise info.
Plant Location Guide
We also have a list on the forum that has all the pop-up stalls info: (Click)
I actually happened to graft this combo last night in my own game and it worked fine so I suggest hovering your mouse over the grafted plant as this will tell you exactly what kind of plant it is.
I’m new to grafting plants etc!
Can someone give me step by step instructions on how to combined the Apple and cherry together and the lily and snapdragon.
So far I planted a lily and fertilised with snapdragon is that right? I need help!
Grow all plants until they are mature and also have your sim get to Level 5 of the gardening skill. At that point your sim will have an option to 'Take a Cutting' when clicking on a plant. So take a cutting from one plant then go to the other plant and the option 'Graft" will appear. When you have multiple cuttings in a sims inventory you can click to expand the stack and hovering over each will give you it's name so you know what cutting came from what plant. Then just follow the grafting guide to figure out what pairings make new plants.
You can graft all plants onto each other to make less overall plants in a sims garden to reduce the work needed but only some graft together to make brand new plants.
So I had only shoots of cherry. It won’t let me plant the shoots? What do I do. I’m trying to make ambrosia you see :)
You can't plants the cuttings, only graft them. Like the Guide above says Cherry>Apple = pomegranate. Then wait till your sims can harvest a pomegranate fruit and plant this; wait until it grows; then graft orchid>pomegranate=death flower.
The plant should say 'spliced plant' when you hover over it also it should say what type of plants are spliced together. If it doesn't display that try saving and restarting your game.
Pomegranates can also be bought from the city fruit vendors if you have City Living.
Sims 4 Snowy Escape
Best Mods in Sims 4
I've created a massive List of The Best Mods in The Sims 4 that should be very helpful to new players and those who have not yet explored modding and how much it can do for your gameplay.
Secrets and Other New Stuff
Nifty Knitting is now available. Learn all about the stuff pack on my guide page here.NEW - Nifty Knitting Cheats
New features in the Sims 4 June 2020
The Sims 4 Eco Lifestyle Guide
Eco Footprint: How it Works
Neighborhood Action Plans
How to Cheat in Sims 4 Eco Lifestyle
Civil Designer Career
Insect Farms & Bio Fuel
Fabrication Skill in Eco Lifestyle
Juice Fizzing NEW
Traits and Aspirations in DLC
Gameplay Ideas for Sims 4 Eco Lifestyle
Search my Sims 4 Site
Super Sim Checklist + Other News
This is inspired by a new series in which I start at toddler and gradually take on the major bonuses. Here's a link to the full playlist!
I now have a guide page to Tiny Living Stuff where you can learn about Murphy Beds, the new death, as well as the lot bonuses you'll receive if you manage to keep the size of your lot down with this new pack's Tiny Home Lot Type.
Let's Play Playlist
New I now have a guide to Making Super Sims in The Sims 4. Look for a text version within the next 72h. It won't have THAT much more info but it will help out as a checklist.
This was inspired by a series, "Let's Play a Super Sim" in which I start at toddler and gradually take on the major bonuses. Here's a link to each part for people who are interested. You can also see the Let's Play as a Playlist on Youtube.
Latest Videos and Guides
- Sims 4 Ultimate Gameplay Tips Video
- Lot Traits Updated for all DLC
- 10 Objects that Add Gameplay to The Sims 4
- 10+ Mods That Add or Improve Gameplay in The Sims 4
- Spells List Updated & Info on Charge
- Around the World of Glimmerbrook
- Sims 4 Realm of Magic is Available Now. Here’s My Opinion On the Pack
- The Sims 4 Realm of Magic Features Deep-Dive
- Tutorial: Using The Sims 4’s New Stair Customization Tool
Discover University Expansion
The Sims 4 Discover University has been announced for November 15 for PC/Mac and December 17 for Xbox and Playstation 4 consoles. Click to learn more about the pack, see my summary of the livestream or read our FAQs below.
- New Career Law Career
- New Video Discover University Review
- New Video The Sims 4 Discover University Super Student
- New Engineering Career - Mechanical or Computer
- NEW Student Organizations (University Groups)
- Gameplay Features Guide (Robotics, Secret Society) Video
- Updated! Discover University Cheats
- Updated: Degrees Guide now also features a Scholarships List
- Discover University Features Guide
- Education Career - Professor or Administrator?
- Research and Debate Skill - Convince Others & Debate Guild
- Robotics and Cybernetics
- The Secret Society of Britechester
More videos coming soon!