The Sims 4 City Living DLC
Guide & Expansion Pack Features
The Sims 4 City Living Expansion is available November 1, 2016. This DLC focuses on adding a new city, apartments, and producing a realistic feeling setting. The City of San Myshuno and Apartments are a central part of the addon. Players have to pay rent to live in the city and contend with noisy neighbors and landlords. Sims can easily eat lunch from a vendor, meet tourists and street performers, and pursue new city-themed careers. I'm working to add new guides daily, now that I've got a copy of the City Living Expansion.
City Living Guides
I'm releasing a new guide every day, so check back for more! I'll update this list as new articles become available:
- Festivals Schedule and Features
- Renting Apartments in City Living Expansion
- Lot Traits for Houses and Apartments - how to use, and their effects
- Critic Career - Arts or Food
- Political Career Track - Become President or a Charity Organizer
- Social Media Career - Make money from followers by advertising
- Singing Skill - Sims can sing karaoke, in the shower, or serenade other Sims. They can also make money with this new skill.
- Talking Toilet: Potty Mouth 2.0 - Yeah, they actually put in a talking toilet.
Summary of Features in The City Living Addon - Read on for Details:
- A New City
- Apartments and Penthouses
- Power outages, roach infestations
- Video game consoles for groups to play together
- Bubble Hookahs
- Street Art
- Cultural Events like eating contests
- Politics Career that appears to be interactive
An Apartment. This is a starter, there are much more luxurious places to live, with higher rent.
Apartments are a new feature in this Expansion Pack. You can rent one of several apartments in different neighborhoods in the city, with different rental expenses. Apartments allow you to use an elevator to leave the building without a loading screen and explore the neighborhood like usual. Building fans will have to get creative to make efficient use of the available space. As your family grows, you're likely to need a much bigger and more expensive apartment. Naturally, you can choose a furnished option when you initially put down the deposit, but you will have to pay for those items' value. Sims on a tight budget may want to buy items as they need them. A downside to apartments that seemingly could've been avoided is that players cannot simply walk into the neighbor's apartment. You're able to socialize with them in the hall or knock for a little chat, but going inside to visit does require a loading screen. See festivals for other explanations about loading screens that pertain to this DLC.
How to Pick Lot Traits: Choose a lot's traits by clicking in the upper-left corner while in build mode. Some traits can't be changed and are unique to certain lots, such as Historical Site.
This was included as a free update for every Sims 4 owner. Some apartments come with predetermined traits that are locked, though you can change your lot's traits at any time. These provide skill boosts, and may allow you to make your building have some supernatural effects, such as gremlins or gnomes that either damage or repair objects overnight. Buildings can be earthquake-prone, have nice breezes that give your Sims a boost to exercise, or nice lighting for painting. Multiple births are also supported if your apartment or house is built on a ley line. Lot traits are changed by clicking the info panel in the top left when you're in build mode. Hover over them and click the X, unless it's one that is permanent (such as the apartment being an historical site).
New City: San Myshuno
San Myshuno's bridge. City Living offers some beautiful views!
City Living Careers
Protesting is part of the new Political Career in the City Living DLC
City Living features three new Careers - Politician (Activist), Critic, and Social Media. All three are fitting for the city life. A new feature for these careers is the ability to work from home. Each day, before your Sim leaves for work, you get to choose if it's a day they'll go in to the office, take the day off, or else work from home. Each of these have two branches like usual, so you can take the career into an entirely different direction.
A festival underway. These are great places to meet Sims and even learn new recipes as your Sim tries new foods.
Festivals are held regularly in San Myshuno. The new city's various neighborhoods are all home to different types of festivals. If a festival is held in your home neighborhood, you can visit it at the designated time without any loading screen. Traveling to a festival in another neighborhood does impose a loading screen, though in my experience they were indeed brief. Festivals last several hours and give your Sims something different to do, allowing them to connect with others Sims and sometimes enter into competitions with prizes. Checking the bulletin board outside your Sim's apartment will notify you of any upcoming festivals.
City Living Trailer
Check Out My Youtube Channel!
We now have a Youtube Channel with over 50 guides in video format to go along with the huge site I've already created. Check it out and consider subscribing if you like my style.
This policy contains information about your privacy. By posting, you are declaring that you understand this policy:
- Your name, rating, website address, town, country, state and comment will be publicly displayed if entered.
- Aside from the data entered into these form fields, other stored data about your comment will include:
- Your IP address (not displayed)
- The time/date of your submission (displayed)
- Your email address will not be shared. It is collected for only two reasons:
- Administrative purposes, should a need to contact you arise.
- To inform you of new comments, should you subscribe to receive notifications.
- A cookie may be set on your computer. This is used to remember your inputs. It will expire by itself.
This policy is subject to change at any time and without notice.
New Patch for November 2019!
Discover University Expansion
The Sims 4 Discover University has been announced for November 15 for PC/Mac and December 17 for Xbox and Playstation 4 consoles. Click to learn more about the pack, see my summary of the livestream or read our FAQs below.
For video info see my Summary of the Sims 4 Discover University Deep Dive Livestream.
- Lot Traits Updated for all DLC
- 10 Objects that Add Gameplay to The Sims 4
- 10+ Mods That Add or Improve Gameplay in The Sims 4
- Spells List Updated & Info on Charge
- Around the World of Glimmerbrook
- Sims 4 Realm of Magic is Available Now. Here’s My Opinion On the Pack
- The Sims 4 Realm of Magic Features Deep-Dive
- Tutorial: Using The Sims 4’s New Stair Customization Tool
Realm of Magic
Search the Site
Sims 4 Packs & DLC
We now have a Videos page, where I'll list every submission to our Sims 4 Gameplay Guides Channel. I'm taking feedback seriously, improving recording and sound quality and other issues with my video guides. Let me know what you think and subscribe for more like it. If you comment on the videos page with a request I may bump it higher on my to do list (no promises though!). Here is a listing of all videos released to date, in order of release:
Sims 4 February Patch Summary
Get Famous: Celestial Crystal Crown
Visit My Channel to Subscribe!
Get Famous First Impressions
First Person Mode (Sims 4 Update)
Get Famous Acting Livestream
Livestream Summary (Latest Patch News)
Patch News: COMING SOON
The Sims 4 Get Famous Expansion
Archaeology Guide (Jungle Adventure)
Jungle Adventure Gameplay
Nerd Brain and Computer Whiz
Spa Day Review and Gameplay Guide
The Sims 4 Whims & How to Use Them
Ambrosia Ingredients and Raising the Dead
The Sims 4: Making a Super Sim
The Sims 4 Careers (Improved)
Seasons Holiday Decorations Guide
Cool Kitchen Stuff
How to Woohoo & Try for Baby
Playing a Moocher
Sims 4 Writing Skill
Father Winter's Baby
Flower Shop Seasons/Get to Work Retail