The Sims 4 Island Living
New Build/Buy Mode Options Like Stilts and Clear Floors
A house with stilt foundation is now possible for all players, but looks best out over the ocean.
Given the Island setting of Sulani, The Sims 4 Island Living naturally comes with a ton of new build mode items to complete that whole, "Tropical Paradise" look you might want. New stilt foundations are available to all players, and there's a new type of "floor" that can be used which is see-through. Here's a quick guide to using the new build mode features and dealing with problems that might come up.
Using Stilt Foundations (Free for All Players)
You can find the foundation button down at the bottom of the house diagram used to navigate build mode.
Rather than leave Stilt Foundations for beach houses locked behind a purchase of Island Living, the developers have given it to base game owners as a free treat. Taking advantage of this is not very difficult if you know where to look. Head to Build Mode (F3). There you'll find that the base of the house in the example picture bottom left of the interface has a click-able "Foundation" spot.
Separate rooms, separate foundations. It's that easy.
Simply click the wooden stilt foundations and hover over your own foundation. A problem that might come up is if you are building the shape of your house but not rooms. Separate rooms can have different foundation types. It looks bad with all stilts, but..
A home with the new stilt foundations over the ocean and a separate solid foundation near land.
...If I separating the rooms, I now have an area with a regular foundation and a stilt foundation.
Using Ocean Ladders
If you think placing ladders is annoying, wait until you've tried the boat. Ladders require a space of 3 blocks for the small one. I don't know what the big one does yet, if it does anything. It looks a bit more "professional" though.
A new, longer type of ladder is available if you own Island Living. These are much bigger, and because you're likely to use a fence on the deck, they can be somewhat hard to place. They're great as they give you the ability to do cannonballs or climb up them to get back up on your deck.
In the case of the smaller one, you can simply use the Sledgehammer Tool (K hotkey) to destroy enough fence once you've already placed them. An annoying thing about this is the fence tool will overwrite the ladder if you attempt to use it again, so it's better to figure out exactly how many fences need cleared for small (3) and large (5).
Glass or Clear Floors
Well, you can see through them... not sure why they are in misc decorations, but there they are.
We saw evidence of clear floors before the launch and couldn't find it initially in the build mode area with floor coverings. This is the wrong place to look. See-through floors are available in a 2x2 called Crystal Clear that is found in Decorations > Misc. It's better to just search the name as that clutter category is very cluttered.
Outriggers/canoes/boats.. whatever you want to call them. They can go in your Sim's quite large pockets, yet they have to be placed in the perfect spot. Meanwhile, floating devices can sit on water just fine. I'm still salty.
About boats... well, docking them isn't really a thing. On many lots they can be an absolute bitch to place. One of the best things you can do is leave at least a 4x6 full blocks of space if you'll want one of these. It must also be in shallow water that doesn't have too steep a hill. Finicky, I tell ya... it's really annoying that way. Something that helped me was to rotate my camera. The game can't quite figure out what elevation it wants to place them at, so moving about a bit while you're struggling to buy the damned boat is highly recommended.
Other Island Living Guides
The Sims 4 Island Living Expansion Pack
Mermaids in Island Living New
Island Living Cheats
Features to Know About in The Sims 4 Island Living
Features in Island Living (Video Format) NEW
Conservationist Career Guide
Conservationist Video Guide
Cleaning Up The Island - How it Works and What's Best
Child of the Islands Trait New
Child of the Ocean Trait New
Using New Foundations, Clear Floors, and Other Build Mode Items
Other Building Guides
Sims 4 House Building
Counters and Islands
Decorating Inside Homes
Island Living (Stilt Foundation, Glass Floors)
Split Levels and Lofts
Stairs and Basements
Check Out My Youtube Channel!
We now have a Youtube Channel with over 50 guides in video format to go along with the huge site I've already created. Check it out and consider subscribing if you like my style.
This policy contains information about your privacy. By posting, you are declaring that you understand this policy:
- Your name, rating, website address, town, country, state and comment will be publicly displayed if entered.
- Aside from the data entered into these form fields, other stored data about your comment will include:
- Your IP address (not displayed)
- The time/date of your submission (displayed)
- Your email address will not be shared. It is collected for only two reasons:
- Administrative purposes, should a need to contact you arise.
- To inform you of new comments, should you subscribe to receive notifications.
- A cookie may be set on your computer. This is used to remember your inputs. It will expire by itself.
This policy is subject to change at any time and without notice.
New Patch for November 2019!
Discover University Expansion
The Sims 4 Discover University has been announced for November 15 for PC/Mac and December 17 for Xbox and Playstation 4 consoles. Click to learn more about the pack, see my summary of the livestream or read our FAQs below.
- Gameplay Features Guide (Robotics, Secret Society) Video
- Updated! Discover University Cheats
- Updated: Degrees Guide now also features a Scholarships List
- Discover University Features Guide
- Education Career - Professor or Administrator?
- New Research and Debate Skill - Convince Others & Debate Guild
- Robotics and Cybernetics
- The Secret Society of Britechester
More videos coming soon!
- Lot Traits Updated for all DLC
- 10 Objects that Add Gameplay to The Sims 4
- 10+ Mods That Add or Improve Gameplay in The Sims 4
- Spells List Updated & Info on Charge
- Around the World of Glimmerbrook
- Sims 4 Realm of Magic is Available Now. Here’s My Opinion On the Pack
- The Sims 4 Realm of Magic Features Deep-Dive
- Tutorial: Using The Sims 4’s New Stair Customization Tool
Realm of Magic
Search the Site
- The Sims 4 Island Living Expansion Pack
- Mermaids in Island Living
- Island Living Cheats
- Features to Know About in The Sims 4 Island Living
- Features in Island Living (Video Format)
- Conservationist Career Guide
- Cleaning Up The Island - How it Works and What's Best
- Using New Foundations, Clear Floors, and Other Build Mode Items
We now have a Videos page, where I'll list every submission to our Sims 4 Gameplay Guides Channel. I'm taking feedback seriously, improving recording and sound quality and other issues with my video guides. Let me know what you think and subscribe for more like it. If you comment on the videos page with a request I may bump it higher on my to do list (no promises though!). Here is a listing of all videos released to date, in order of release:
Sims 4 February Patch Summary
Get Famous: Celestial Crystal Crown
Visit My Channel to Subscribe!
Get Famous First Impressions
First Person Mode (Sims 4 Update)
Get Famous Acting Livestream
Livestream Summary (Latest Patch News)
Patch News: COMING SOON
The Sims 4 Get Famous Expansion
Archaeology Guide (Jungle Adventure)
Jungle Adventure Gameplay
Nerd Brain and Computer Whiz
Spa Day Review and Gameplay Guide
The Sims 4 Whims & How to Use Them
Ambrosia Ingredients and Raising the Dead
The Sims 4: Making a Super Sim
The Sims 4 Careers (Improved)
Seasons Holiday Decorations Guide
Cool Kitchen Stuff
How to Woohoo & Try for Baby
Playing a Moocher
Sims 4 Writing Skill
Father Winter's Baby
Flower Shop Seasons/Get to Work Retail